Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fish Survey Results

Thank you to those of you who took the time to respond to the fish survey. Here are some of the most interesting results:

60% of people surveyed - have shopped at Aquatic Connections so often they've lost count.

30% of people surveyed - have a pond under 500 gallons
30% of people surveyed - have a pond 501 to 1500 gallons
17% of people surveyed - have a pond 1501 to 3000 gallons
19% of people surveyed - have a pond over 3000 gallons
4% of people surveyed - did not have a pond

58% of people surveyed - have over 10 fish in their pond

60% of people surveyed - have Domestic koi (comets were a close 2nd with 59%)

My observation would be that many of these pond owners have too many fish for the size of their pond. So let's open this up for discussion on filtration. Today's pond technology makes it easy and affordable for homeowners to have biological filtration(usually in the form of a waterfall box) and mechanical filtration (most commonly in the form of a skimmer). Today's pond kits are sold complete with both units and everything else you need. What type of filtration are you using? Does it work or do you need some help balancing your ecosystem? Please feel free to comment and help out your fellow pond hobbyists.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I use the Bioforce 1000 gallon filter system (it's a canister) with a separate 550 gallon pump. I was told when I bought it that I would only have to clean it 2-3 times all summer long. I have to clean it twice a week! My fish reproduced this summer and my 240 gallon pond went from 15 fish to 33! Help! What's the best kind of filtering system I can use? Also, my pond went black over last winter. I didn't lose any fish, but I don't want it to happen again. I enjoy seeing the fish year-round.

Anonymous said...

I also suffer from having too many fish in my pond. I stopped buying new koi 4 dozen fish ago- but my problem is that they are constantly (or it seems that way) spawning. Therefore, rather than talking about filtration alone, let's have a discussion on how to keep my population down in the 1st place. I have a large filtration system and it keeps the water clear and teh fish healthy but I need to cut down on the number of fish in the pond.

I have heard that catfish will help by eating the new borns, but would like to hear from others on anything that works. Also, any help in finding a place that sells catfish would also be helpful.

Thanks

Aquatic Connections said...

If your pond is constructed with a liner you may want to consider expanding it. 240 gallons is not enough for the number of fish that you have. The filtration does match the size of the pond, but there are too many fish. If you do expand the size, a biofalls and skimmer provide great filtration.

Aquatic Connections said...

Stuart,
We have had a few requests for catfish over the years at our Water Garden Center, but don't carry them because from what I hear, they can get aggressive towards your koi and golfish as they get bigger. I'd also be interested if anyone else has a comment on this situation.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I have a similiar small pond 6 ft x 6ft x 1ft which is about 250 gallons. I use the Cyprio Bioforce 1000, but have the 880 Titan pump instead of the 550. There are only about 24 fish in my pond including 6 eight inch Koi. There's a small 10" falls and a Nursery Pro air bubbler with two outlets in use continuously. Regularly I apply Pond Care Ecofix and PondZyme. There are six or seven potted plants and about one third plant cover on the pond surface. For the past two years I have had perfectly clear and balanced situation even though there are too many fish in my pond.

If you cannot enlarge your pond, you might move up to the 880 Titan or Supreme 900 gph size pumps which will utilize the 1000 Bioforce to its capacity, and give you 50 percent more filtration per hour. Add an air bubbler if you don't have one to help keep the pond well oxygenated.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Ev. Ferri

SolarPanel-Rental said...

I also use aeration stones and pumps(year round), as well as many perennial and tropical plants.
I find if i have plants on the top and bottom the fish seem healthy. Of course, at this time of year, as it gets cold, I take the plant material down to the minimum to prevent decaying. Mike EagleEye4u2@Gmail.com