Sunday, January 27, 2008

Squirrels Crawl Under My Pool Cover


I couldn't believe what I saw out my kitchen window yesterday. As I looked out across my backyard, I saw a squirrel disappear under the pool cover of my inground pool. It walked right up to the edge, near the ladder in the deep end. Much to my surprise it crawled through the slit in the cover where the rails come out of the pool. I stood there, almost holding my breath, and waited. I sure hoped he was going to climb back out. I really didn't feel like going out there and rescuing a drowning squirrel from the frigid pool water. Luckily he did come back out a minute later. Why did he do that, I thought. I took a look at my pond-frozen! I took a look at my heated birdbath-empty! He needed a drink. Fresh water is so important this time of year. It can be very difficult for animals to find it sometimes. My heated bidbath works great-when I keep water in it. And yes, I have seen squirrels drink from it. They take turns with the birds. They all need water. My heated birdbath helps more than just the birds! Call Aquatic Connections and see how you can get one for the wildlife in your backyard. Visit Aquatic Connections website to learn more about our committment to backyard habitats.

No comments: