Sunday, December 2, 2007

I Forgot To Put My Pond Heater In

I just realized that I haven't put my pond heater in the pond yet and there is already a thin layer of ice forming on top. We had our first minor snowfall early this morning; luckily it didn't amount to much. The net is still on the pond, so tomorrow morning when the temperatures are supposed to be in the forties I will have to remove part of it to install my pond heater. I'm going to leave the net on a while longer because the leaves haven't all fallen from the trees yet. The pond heater will turn on when the water is cold enough because it has an internal thermostat.

My suggestion is get your pond heater or de-icer in now as well as you aerator or bubbler, if you are going to use one. It's not a good idea to smash through the ice once it forms on top of the pond. You can order a pond heater online at www.aquaticconnections.com. Aquatic Connections has several varieties of pond de-icers in stock. I personally use the "rock" heater from Tetra. For more pond winterizing tips you can read the full article in the FAQ & Tips section of our website.

No comments: